Thursday, August 2, 2012

Day 1 - Calais to Gravellines

Apologies for the brevity of this message, but I'm writing on an iPad in a tourist office and can't type very fast.  I'll edit this once I find a place with a proper keyboard.

So far everything is going fine, although I've learnt that while it's easy to draw a line between two places on a map, it's a different thing having to walk between the two - especially with a heavy backpack on. But, after some mild difficulty, and some slightly frustrating inadvertent detours I made it to a campsite "Camping des Dunes" last night where I slept pretty well.  Also it rained and my tent held up very well, which is good to know.

Right now I've made it to Dunkirk, and am writing this in the tourism office.  I've set up camp in "la Licorne" near the beach.  Dunkirk is alright, alTthough all the older buildings are still covered in shrapnel and bullet damage from WW2.  Might head to the Durkirk Evacuation Museum this afternoon for the full story.

Tomorrow I'll head to Belgium, to Oostende I think, where fingers crossed they will have a proper Internet cafe with a real keyboard.  After that, to
Bruges, which I'm looking forward to.

Right, I'm off to find some lunch, bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment