Friday, August 3, 2012

Day 3 - Dunkirk - Oostende

Hello again to everyone, I'm writing this from an internet cafe in Oostende, Belgium.  Also I'm typing this on a damn azerty keyboard, so if there's some typos that's why.

Things are going very well on the trip so far, although my legs and feet are horribly achy, and with some blisters.  I'm quite glad to be out of France to be honest, the northeast of the country is a bit of a dump - Nazi graffiti everywhere and loads of campaign pictures of Marine Le Pen.  I guess its probably something to do with all the people trying to sneak through the ports.  Anyway, it's a pretty depressing environment.  Dunkirk in particular was very bleak, and mysteriously the streets seemed to be empty the whole time I was there.  

Fortunately the campsite was nice, and I had a very nice time watching the sun set over Dunkirk bay.

This morning I got up early and set off down the coast - walking qlong the hard sands for about 15 miles or so until I was in Belgium.  The beach was great - big old concrete machine gun bunkers poking out of the ground, quite post apocalyptic. Belgium is much nicer thankfully, everyone's polite, speqks English and is very helpful.  Also, after the blitzed out postwar qrchitecture of Dunkirk, Oostende is lovely - lots of old buildings.  I'm camped just outside the town, in a place called Camping Astrid.

After I got there this afternoon, I took a dip in the sea, very refreshing.  Now I'm planning the next few days - I think off to Bruges tomorrow, stay there for 2 nights and move on.  More updates to come, when I find a keyboard that has its As and Zs etc in the right places.

1 comment:

  1. OK it's good to know you're still alive. Sounds excellent actually. Enjoy yourself!

    ReplyDelete