Friday, August 10, 2012

Day 10 - Hellevoetsluis to Rotterdam

Am posting this just outside the modern art museum in the centre of the city.

Hellevoetsluis proved to be a total bust as a town/city. It doesn't seem to even have a centre as such, just a slightly run down shopping centre. After two hours walking around trying to find something interesting I gave up and returned to the campsite. It was a weird place, kind of reminded me of a Midwestern US town, all long straight roads, and low kind of industrial buildings. At least the campsite was pleasant and grassy though.

I'm surprised at how modern Rotterdam is - I was expecting the usual spattering of old buildings in the centre, but it turns out that nearly everything was flattened in fifteen minutes on 14th May 1940 by the Luftwaffe. Yeah, cheers Hitler.

What remains (sort of) is a nice church (St Lawrence's) which I spent an hour wandering around reading about the history of the place. It looked real nice prior to WW2.

Now the place is filled with glittering, glass skyscraper and more upmarket fashiony shops than you can shake a stick at. If you're in the market for a pair of trainers or a trendy t-shirt then this is the place to be. I'm not, so it feels a little corporate and soulless.

Later I'm hopping on a train to Utrecht to meet up with a friend. After nearly two weeks of solitude on the road it'll be pretty weird to see someone that I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment